You can register and use the British Council English (BC English) service simply by SMS commands where you would receive questions which need to be replied to correctly. Depending on the current level and the amount of correct answers you send, you may be upgraded to a higher level automatically to further your educational development. Register to the service under 3 levels: Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced.
Frequently asked questions
Register to the service under 3 levels
This is facilitated with three types of services
- Push SMS: General English messages such as learning tips, interesting facts, collocations, idioms, and expressions and vocabulary.
- Pull SMS: Multiple choice questions including odd one out and gap filling. Subscribers can reply back to the preferred question.
- Conversational English: Sending five messages based on the subscriber’s language followed with a linked question. This category is only applicable for Elementary Level.
Incoming SMS Port Details
You will receive SMS's via the below ports:
- BC English : Daily Tips to improve your English.
- 7447 : Get exercises based on the registered level
Below are usage commands for the service to send the SMS's as per the given port numbers.
|Register (Default for Elementary Level – English Language)||BCE||678|
|Register or Level Change to Elementary||BCE ELE||7447|
|Register or Level Change to Intermediate||BCE INT||7447|
|Register or Level Change to Advance||BCE ADV||7447|
|Language Change to Sinhala||BCE SIN||7447|
|Language Change to Tamil||BCE TAM||7447|
|Answer to Pull||BCE A or BCE B
or BCE C
|Answer to Conversational Pull||BCE Answer||7447|
|Help in English||BCE E||7447|
|Help in Sinhala||BCE S||7447|
|Help in Tamil||BCE T||7447|
Dial 555 to access through IVR